FASHION

FASHION
FASHION

BEAUTY

BEAUTY
BEAUTY

FOOD

FOOD
FOOD

AAM DOI: BAKED MANGO YOGURT: HOLI SPECIAL


Happy Holi to all of you !!! Our Holi was pretty monochromatic in the grey Midwest. We are awaiting our Holi celebrations over the weekend. If at all, we can make it on time. But I am hopeful.

Holi is synonymous with something sweet on the plate. An extra helping of dessert doesn't count as an extra helping. Gujiyas, Gulab Jamuns and the list goes on and on. When we were younger, my Dad used to make sure there was almost a never ending supply of Gulab Jamun at our place on Holi. People used to keep dropping in, throughout the day,and the Gulab Jamuns were served on and on. Ahhh those days of guilt free sugar intake.

While I am not at all the quintessential Desi, who whips up sweets on every Indian Festival, there are some times, I like to indulge myself. But my pantry was not greatly stocked , to make some Kalakand or Gulab Jamun. So I thought why not MISHTI DOI .  That's easy to pull off and even the Kiddo loves it. So MISHTI Doi it was, but with a twist. I had a bag of Frozen Alphonso Mango Chunks, which were inherently on the sour side, to be consumed on their own. With a dash of Saffron, and the rest of the Mishti Doi ingredients, this mango could actually work wonders. It would look fancy too.


Taaadddaaaaaaaaaa !!!!!

AAM DOI (Mango Yogurt) it had to be !!  It was  a no-brain er. We could convince ourselves that the sugar intake was balanced by a helping of Fruit. So much for trying to maintain the waistline, when it doesn't want to maintain itself.

My previous experience of making Aam Doi was different as I had used the store bought can of Saffron infused Mango Pulp from Swad, I think. I was a bit iffy as to if my experiment of using these sour mango chunks would help or end in a disaster. I said to myself, that if it turned out well enough, then I could share it my friends, as Holi sweets, or else, Me and the Man would be having Aam Doi for all our meals.

The experimentation worked. It was just about adding a few more ingredients to my already fool proof MISHTI DOI  recipe. Did I mention of a KC Bong lady who drove me nuts for my Mishti Doi Recipe. Like a helpful soul, I shared my Blog post with her. She goes on ahead to make a not so great version of it, at every possible function,without a single credit to me. And why do you think hers was not as great as the recipe called for? She clearly wanted to do a cost cutting version,and subbed the Condensed milk and the Evaporated milk. The result was a chalky white doi,which was more sour than Mishti(sweet). But as my MAa says, Imitation is the best form of flattery.I have learnt to take it all in my stride.

So the only bits of color for us on Holi were the smiles on our daughter's face and the vibrant Aam Doi which we dug in, post dinner.


AAM DOI:

 BASIC MISHTI DOI RECIPE

Ingredients:
Evaporated Milk: 14 0z
Condensed Milk: 14 oz
Plain Yogurt: 14 oz
Mango Pulp made from Frozen Mango Chunks: 10 oz (or Canned Mango Pulp)
Saffron: A few strands(soak them in the evaporated milk for some time)

Procedure:
Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and use a whisk to make sure there are no lumps.

Pre-heat your oven to 350F




Do a taste test. If you feel that the mixture is sour, add in some sugar according to your taste .

Transfer the mixture into oven proof ramekins or a large oven proof bowl.

Bake at 350F for exactly 15 minutes. Turn off the oven. Let the yogurt congeal in the oven for at least 5 to 6 hours. If you feel that the yogurt has finally set, transfer them to your refrigerator.

Serve cold or at room temperature.

You could ranges with some more Saffron Strands or Chopped Pistachio.

Bon Appetit !!!

1 comment