FASHION

FASHION
FASHION

BEAUTY

BEAUTY
BEAUTY

FOOD

FOOD
FOOD

WASABI,OVERLAND PARK: EATING OUT


Sushi is one of my weaknesses. I think in my entire pregnancy, what I craved for most, was Sushi.But alas it was out of bounds. In the last couple of years, I made sure I made up for that, by visiting every decent Sushi joint around town.

So when a new Sushi joint opened in town, we made sure we dropped in, with a big appetite.

It was WASABI. Yes, another offshoot from the chain made famous by its avatars in St. Louis and in Colorado. Wasabi has around 8 locations in Illinois,Colorado,Missouri and Kansas. I had heard of it but had never dined at any of its other locations. So I had no pre-conceived notions as to how good or bad the place would be.

The first thing I noticed was the place was way too lit up for me having a weekend dinner. It almost looked like a diner. But then appearances can be deceptive. However I must admit that it had a great flow of people. Seemed like this had already become a local favorite in the short tenure.




We started off of with Traditional Hot Sake and Chicken Yakitori. The Sake was nothing over the moon, but the Chicken was juicy and tender.

When it came to ordering the Sushi, we had quite a handful.
We started off Nigiri Sushi. Hokkigai(Surf Clam).But our server informed us that they had almost run out of their Quail Eggs(which are served on top). Not quite impressive.

From the selection of Maki rolls, we opted for Kamikaze(Spicy Tuna,Crab,Avocado served with Ponzu) ,Unagi((Smoked Eel and cucumber), Rasta(smoked salmon,jalapeño,avocado), Windy City(deep fried scallop, cucumber) and Spicy Tuna(Yellow fin Tuna,Scallion and special chili sauce).

We signed off with Godzilla Returns. I was surely impressed by the name, I must tell you. And the roll blew me away.

My best bets would be with Kamikaze and Godzilla Returns.





The Maki rolls made up for what the Nigiri and Sake lost out on. The service was surely impressive. The servers actually knew what they were dealing with. We had a friend with us, who was a Sushi newbie and had queries. The servers were more than happy to take care of his concerns. With all this chit-chat and all the pictures I was trying to take, we got a visit from Executive Chef Roy at our table. He seemed every enthusiastic over our selection of Sushi. Naiceeeeeeee !!!!!


Whether or not I would recommend this Sushi joint to anyone else? Well, its great for an evening snack or a casual dinning out . Their selection of Maki Rolls is really impressive. But if you're looking for the ambiance and a hip crowd, then head to Ra Sushi. Wasabi is more of a dive than being a fine dinning restaurant.

WASABI
5621 West 135th Street
Suite 2620
Overland Park
KS 66223







No comments