FASHION

FASHION
FASHION

BEAUTY

BEAUTY
BEAUTY

FOOD

FOOD
FOOD

CHOSUN KOREAN BARBECUE



Recently being back from LA and having explored the food scene, in a true Food Blogger style, Korean Barbecue was high on our minds. My husband had found about this joint in KC which was really well known for their Korean Barbecue. Mind you, we were still under a food coma of Koreatown in LA so the stakes of comparison were a bit high.

We were accompanied by our friends. So it was 4 adults and two toddlers who were dinning that night.

Chosun Korean Barbecue is located in Overland Park . The exterior is so dimly lit that you could even think that the place is closed for business. We had to step in to find out whether they were open or not. First Red Flag.


I wanted to taste some Korean Beer. But our server seemed absolutely blank when I asked him about beer options. He kept repeating the options, which I can probably pick up on a Friday evening, from my local Walmart.

Last of all, my husband asked him if he had anything special in Beers. I am very patient with people who might find it difficult to understand English, so we worded the question differently. The server came back with two Japanese Beers  for me and Hubs. I didn't want to argue any further.

We started off with the BibimBap. Its a bed of steamed rice, topped with a variety of fresh seasoned vegetables, beef and topped with a panfried egg. I had requested the server that I need to photograph the food, before he serves it, as I am a Food Blogger . I explained further that its my job to write about Food. Probably he didn't take me seriously or didnt understand. My husband explained in clear terms that he needs to wait for us to tell him when to serve the food. Despite all the ardent requests, he was in such a mad rush to serve up the BibimBap. Hence no picture of it. Coming to taste, it wasn't out of the world.

It was already Three Red Flags.


For our Main Course, we opted for Combo 2 of  Korean Barbecue: Large Beef Rib Eye, Beef Ribs, Bulgogi. Pork Belly and Pork Shoulder. It serves 3- 4 people according to their Menu. Korean Barbecue involves table side cooking. So every table has a pit in the table, fitted with a grill. yes, you got to be very careful with toddlers. The waiter brings in your share of tenderized and marinated cuts of meat, which are then cooked and rested in front of you, by the server. Somehow our server was not very keen at all, on having us cook our own food. We have done that in the past in many different eateries across the mainland. Interactive barbecue. So we didn't bother arguing any more with him. 


Salad and Banchan(Korean Side dishes) are complimentary with Barbecue. The Kimchi and the fluffy egg were quite good to nibble on, as we waited for the first of our meat to be grilled.










The Rib Eye was grilled last and it rounded off the meal well. It was a meat overload in a good sort of way. The meat were seasoned well, and grilled to perfection. And the portion size was good enough for 4 adults.

By this time, our bellies were full, but we weren't too happy with our server. The restaurant was almost empty  and they were in a rush to see us off ,we felt. The Manager Kevin Wong, proabably sensed something was wrong. He came up to out table to talk to us and introduced us to the owner Carrie. They were very proud and insistent that they serve only USDA Prime. Now that's where I need to differ. I know my meat well. While I am not arguing that the meat was good, but no way was that Rib Eye USDA Prime as they kept on stressing. Carrie and Kevin are good hosts, but their servers need to be more attentive and receptive . Service needs to improve.

Will I be going back? Yes, I will, at least once, To check whether this time around the service is better for me to enjoy my Beer and Barbecue on a Friday night. 

1 comment