FASHION

FASHION
FASHION

BEAUTY

BEAUTY
BEAUTY

FOOD

FOOD
FOOD

TOO FACED MELTED LIQUIFIED LIPSTICK REVIEW: BEAUTY

The Swatches and the Colors
When I venture into any Make-Up brand,I try to keep myself impartial and not compare it to other products at the word go. I had heard of the Too Faced Melted Liquified Lipsticks from my friend and Youtube Beauty Vlogger Angeline. She had picked up a whole bunch of colors before all the Holiday parties we attended together.I knew I had to lay my hands on these babies pretty soon. 



Before you realize, a haul happens,and you have it at last. I had high hopes for this line,as everyone seemed to go Ga ga over these. I went over to my local Ulta and swatched the ones which caught my fancy at first glance. I will always gravitate towards Red Lips, so its no wonder that my swatches had more reds than other colors. If you look at my swatches from right to left, I started out with MELTED VELVET, MELTED RUBY, MELTED STRAWBERRY and MELTED BERRY. The product claims to combine a stain,liquid lipstick and gloss in one product. Tall claims.




At the first swatch, I was clearly impressed with the pigmentation. It started off creamy on the lips and dried matte. Who doesn't love a bright matte lip? I know I do. So I picked up the reddest red from the collection. MELTED VELVET. It was the last one in Ulta. So clearly this shade was the best seller, if we went by my local ULTA"s sales on a random weekend in Spring. It was a new shade in  in the current 18 color collection. I was clearly impressed with the color pay off initially. It comes in a tube with a foam applicator which dispenses product after you squeeze the tube. The packaging is nice and matte as well.


I decided to put it to the test. Any product can be impressive in swatches. We had a day long event where my husband's band was performing at the PASSPORT TO INDIA festival organised by the NELSON ATKINS MUSEUM OF ART in KANSAS CITY. I knew I had to be on my toes on that day, as I manage their band. So I needed a fuss free product.

Knowing the fact that its a matte red lip. I started out by lining and filling in my lips with a red lip liner. This step is crucial to the success of any red lip, as it prevents the color from fading faster or even bleeding around.

I used the product generously on my lips. Its very creamy and glides on beautifully. It dries a perfect matte. By the time I reached the venue, I had already started getting rave reviews on the dark red lip I was sporting.


In about a couple of hours, before I had eaten anything,the lipstick had started to fade in patches on the lips. So I reapplied another generous coat. By the time it was 2: 30 pm in the afternoon, I had to apply the lipstick thrice. I did have lunch in between, so that can count for one coat. But even then, it was a huge letdown in terms of its staying power. Its not a drug store lipstick we are talking about here. Its a prestige brand and with a huge price tag and a brand name, everyone expects the product to deliver.
Too Faced VS MAC RUBY WOO
Whenever you pick up a red lipstick,which claims to be a true red and matte, you tend to compare it to RUBY WOO by MAC. Its an eternal favorite of mine and around the world. So when this product was clearly failing, I started the comparison in my mind. Its priced higher than MAC. Ruby Woo is priced at $16  and Too faced Melted Lipstick is priced at $21, respectively before local taxes. While both are neck and neck in terms of pigmentation and color payoff, Ruby Woo wins hand down in this game, for the staying power of the classic. With Ruby Woo, you clearly do not need to worry if you have lipstick on your lips for hours at a stretch.
Too Faced VS MAC RUBY WOO
I had been taking selfies through out the day, just to compare how the lipstick was doing between applications. After re-applying for the third time, I was clearly not interested to wear it any longer. It was patchy and the color had faded away from that deep dark red, to a much paler counter part.


I know the collection has around 18 colors currently but I am surely not going to be picking any more. If I have to spend that much amount of money on a lipstick, I would rather spend it on MAC lipstick which haven't failed me yet. An over hyped product,which clearly fails to deliver. I will probably use this lipstick as a back up in my bag,for days when I have forgotten to put on some color on my lips. Or maybe use it as a stain. It clearly lives up to its part of being a stain, but as a lipstick, fails miserably.

Too bad TOO Faced !! 

2 comments

  1. I just read ur review on the two-faced lipstick. All I can say that you have done a great job of putting your experience in a very honest manner. Really liked the comparison that you did with MAC. You have saved loads of people from buying this over-hyped brand...Good job..Srijita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Srijita. It was clearly a let down for me. I had hoped a lot from this lipstick,but it was only tall claims. Staying power is one of the most important factors of a lipstick besides pigmentation.

    ReplyDelete